Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Intervals and Recovery

It's Tuesday! So whatever.

I took Sunday and Monday off from running. Monday was a rest day from all workouts. Sometimes I need days like that. It must have been a good idea because my legs felt great today!

It was 2* this morning and I feel like it's bordering on child abuse to take Lorelei out on a run when it's that cold. Instead, we headed to the gym. I'm hating my gym more and more these days. The facility is nice, but they do really stupid things like shut off most of the treadmills for cleaning. This has happened twice in the last few weeks. They aren't open 24 hours so it seems like they could do it before they open or after they close. This morning the only mills that were on were in use and the super unhelpful guy at the front desk said they would turn them back on in a half hour. The blazing fury in my eyes must have made him reconsider arguing with me about it because he turned one on for me. They still hadn't turned the rest of them on almost an hour later when I finished my run.

I did 6 miles this morning. A 3 mile warm up, intervals and a .75 mile cool down. I'm not sure the exact length or speed of the intervals. I was watching tv so I just cranked the speed up for the commercials and slowed back down when Ellen came back on. I felt pretty good for the first time in weeks. I haven't really done anything but easy and long runs lately so in an attempt to still feel good tomorrow I foam rolled and then elevated my legs. I just lay on the floor and put them up on the wall. I thought about an ice bath but couldn't bring myself to do it. Long runs don't really bother me anymore, but speed work can still wreck my legs. Guess I need to do more of it. Here are some good tips on helping your muscles recover post run.

And since we're talking about intervals, here is a link to a short article comparing calorie burn in endurance running vs intervals. Endurance running burns more calories, but intervals are good for fat loss. A good reason to do some every once in a while

At least I had good company while I put my legs up.



Dinner tonight was veggie burgers.



And garlic cilantro wedges.




To make them I (sorry I don't have a more precise recipe, that's just not how I do things):
Peel and cut the potatoes into wedges.
In a small bowl I mix fresh cilantro-roughly chopped, olive oil, and 4 cloves of garlic pressed
Pour over the wedges and toss to coat
Spread on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper
Bake at 425 for about 30 min

We love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment