Wednesday, January 9, 2013

5 miles and Birthday Cake

Happy Lorelei's Birthday to everyone!

Yesterday Lorelei refused to go to the gym so I did the Barre workout again. Here's why...

It's too darn slippery to run, even with YakTrax. We spent a good chunk of our afternoon chipping away at the ice in our driveway and on the sidewalk in front of our house.

Last night she really wanted to go to Chuck E Cheese, so we did. Why not start the Birthday fun a little early?

                                                         


We started today with an easy 5 miles at the gym. I say easy because the pace was easy, not because it felt easy. I'm feeling very tired today, the kind of tired that seems to go all the way to your bones. Luckily, I have a 3 YEAR OLD to distract me from and also add to the tiredness.

After the gym we came home and made her birthday cake. We made Rainbow Chip, it's like Funfetti only better. Fun Times!


After our baking fun we watched a movie in my bed which means that she watched a movie and I took a short nap. Somedays I really miss her having a nap time.

For dinner I made one of Lorelei's favorites, which also happens to be one of my favorites. LOVE THIS STUFF!

Feta, Broccoli and Brown Rice "Casserole" (Not really a casserole, you don't bake it)

2 cups Brown Rice
4 medium tomatoes, diced
1 bunch broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1/4 tsp dried Basil
8 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled (I buy a brick and crumble it myself)
Olive Oil
Black Pepper

Cook 2 cups of brown rice according to package
In a large skillet saute garlic, add tomatoes and saute about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, oregano, pepper, and about 1/8 cup of water. Cover and cook on med-high for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. The broccoli should still have a little crunch to it. Add the Feta and rice and stir together. Serve after the cheese has melted in, this doesn't take long.
I don't add any salt to this because Feta is a salty cheese. I'd recommend you wait until after you've added the Feta and tasted it to add any salt.


Here's Lorelei's bowl. Looks good right? All gooey and cheesy.

I'm so glad that she's not picky. She never has been. Of course, we've never really given her the option. We just expect her to eat what we eat and she does. And she has to at least try everything before she decides she doesn't like it. It drives me crazy to see all the posts on Pinterest about toddler friendly meals. Your meals are toddler friendly!  

Speaking of toddler friendly, fire sure is. After dinner we had cake! I'm looking forward to a lazy evening on the couch with the new issue of Runners World and some TV.


No comments:

Post a Comment