Monday, February 25, 2013

Kombucha, a cat and cookies

Hello!

Today was a rest day from running. It's looking like its going to be a rest day from any kind of workout. Lorelei and I have been busy today and I'm looking forward to plopping myself on the couch after she goes to bed.

My tentative running schedule for the week is looking like this:
Monday: Rest day
Tuesday: 7 miles
Wednesday: 5 miles
Thursday: 7 miles
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: 10 miles
Sunday: 3 miles
35 miles total

I have no problem adjusting this if I feel like I need to.

While I'm talking about running, I read a good article in March 2013 issue of Running Times. It's written by Greg McMillan and he gives you tips for running with a GSP. I feel like almost all of us use these gadgets these days so I figured I'd share his tips with some commentary of my own.

1. Don't look at your GPS for the first 10 minutes of your run. You need to give your body time to settle into the pace not let your watch set the pace. I absolutely agree with this, it definitely takes me a few minutes to warm up and settle in.
2. Let your pace vary. You'll naturally run some sections of your route faster or slower. Generally I just like to know what my average pace is at the end of a run, I don't really care about mile splits so I don't check as I go unless I'm shooting for a certain number of miles and I need to check to see that I've hit it.
3. Don't question the race distance. It doesn't matter what your GPS says, they are very precise about measuring race distances. End of story.
4. Don't race the GPS. Use the GPS to help you stay in the correct training zone for the workout you're doing.
5. Leave it at home. The GPS is just a training tool. You should learn to run by feel and rely on that more than anything.

Today we went shopping for a few things including a jar to make kombucha in. I've been growing my SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast) and it's been ready I just needed to get a jar. Not familiar with kombucha? I'd recommend you Google it but here is a link that will give you some info on what it is and how it's made. Basically, it's a fermented sweet tea. Lots of the crazy hippie, health food nuts :) that drink it say it has all sorts of health benefits but none of them have been proven in studies. I just think it tastes good. The whole bacteria and yeast thing sounds gross, but we still eat yogurt, right?  

Here's my SCOBY, growing in a glass. If you Google it you can see just how gross they really look.


We also went to the shelter and picked up a foster cat today. He's an old man, 12 years old, and I'm a sucker for the old animals. Puppies and kittens are cute, but they're a ton of work and kind of obnoxious. He's so cute and sweet and I feel so sad that he ended up at the shelter at his age. He has a bit of a cold now but when he's over that he can go back and find a new family. I absolutely love that MHS will put these old guys up for adoption and it hurts my heart that people don't seem to find as much value in the old ones as they do in the babies. Anyway, Lorelei decided to call him Bob even though he had a name. Oh well, Bob is better.



We're ending our night by making cookies. My favorite cookies. I know I've told you about them before, they're just chocolate chip cookies but you also add peanut butter chips and pretzel pieces. I don't measure how much of the chips or pretzels I use, I just eyeball it. Add as much or as little as you'd like. Don't be afraid of the pretzels, they are wonderful! I eat healthy most of the time so I don't mind having cookies occasionally when I'm PMSing. That's really the only time I feel like I need to have dessert.


What are your favorite cookies?
Do you always run with a watch or GPS?

Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment