Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentines Day!

Ok, let's start with yesterday.

Lorelei, the dogs and I made it home. Before we left I decided to get one last run in while I had a babysitter.

The roads were still really icy but now they had a layer of snow on them. That helps with driving but not really with running. I almost fell twice. Here's my first slip...

I kind of just wanted to call it quits and not risk killing myself on the ice. Instead I just took it slow and was careful. 3 miles done! The entire time I was running I was thinking about how hard running has been for me lately and how I feel so out of shape and just slow. I really hope a lot of that slowness has to do with the ice and snow. Those of us that tough it out all winter really have to fight for a lot of those miles. They aren't easy.

I'm really hoping that when spring gets here I have something to show for all these hard winter miles. Keep toughing it out friends, winter will be over soon! I was actually surprised to get home yesterday and find no snow, the sun shining and it was almost 40*.

We had no food so I was forced to go shopping last night. By the time I got home it was late so I just threw something together quickly for dinner. Here's a great example of something that was quick to make and super healthy. A spinach, mushroom and tofu wrap.


I sautéed a red pepper with some mushrooms in olive oil and a little (ok, maybe a lot) of balsamic vinegar. What can I say, I love that stuff. Garlic, salt, pepper and oregano to season. I added some cubed tofu at the end. I was going to sauté the spinach too, but warm, soggy spinach didn't sound good at the time. Instead, I made a bed of fresh spinach on a tomato and basil wrap and topped it with the tofu, mushrooms and red pepper. So, so good! I added some shredded italian cheeses to mine.

This morning Paul woke us up with my favorite breakfast, banana french toast. He stopped on his way home from work this morning to shop. Lorelei was VERY excited about Valentines Day and he didn't disappoint her.

This afternoon we made cupcakes to send to work with Paul tonight. I don't want those things around the house. We kept a few of them and sent the rest with him.



Just as we were heading out the door to run I realized it was raining. I told Lorelei we weren't going after all. I didn't think we'd get very far because of the weather. For some reason I always feel like if I can't run as far as I was planning then there's no reason to go at all. That's obviously stupid. Any number of miles is better than none at all, right? I decided not to be a wimp and we went anyway. No, I'm not a terrible parent, I have a plastic stroller cover. She was dry and happy watching a movie.



It was a real kick in the pants to have to push that thing in the wind for 3 miles though. I'm glad we didn't do more than that. The wind really catches that plastic and it's like trying to push a sail boat. Ok, maybe I'm a tad dramatic, but it's hard.

I'm going to spend the rest of the night with my little Valentine. Go love someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment