Friday, December 21, 2012

Vegetarian Recipes

Hey guys!
My lovely sister in law has recently become a vegetarian and asked me to share some recipes with her. I thought I'd do that here so you can enjoy them too. These are some of my favorites, actually Paul loves them too and he's not even a vegatarian. Most of these are pretty easy to make, some take more prep than others. Also, a lot of these are not my recipe, just recipes that I've come across and love.


Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas

Roasted Acorn Squash

Thai Sweet Potatoes and Lentils, if you can't find fire roasted tomatoes for this, just use regular diced, canned tomatoes.
This pasta salad

Mexican Veggie Lasagna

Sweet Potato Chili

Veggie Lasagna

Black Bean Sliders

Mexican Tortilla Pie

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup I use vegetable stock instead of chicken and milk instead of half and half.

Tofu Potato Scramble Makes a great burrito filling

Sweet Potato Burritos I usually only make half this recipe because it makes a ton. Also, I use black beans instead of kidney beans.

Baked Banana Oatmeal: Yes, we have this for dinner sometimes too.
2 cups oats
2 cups vanilla almond milk( i use this because it's sweet)
1 cup regular milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 bananas sliced
3 egg whites
4 Tbsp chopped walnuts
*if you don't use vanilla almond milk you should add more vanilla and also some sugar.
Spray 9 x 13 pan and bake at 375 for 30 to 40 min, then top with brown sugar and put under the broiler for about 2 min, watch to make sure sugar doesn't burn.

And finally, we eat a lot of lentils. Lately we use them instead of ground meat in tacos and sloppy joes.
I generally cook lentils the same way as pasta, with lots of water and then drain them. I usually cook a cup of brown lentils per meal.

For tacos, you could use one of those seasoning packs, but I usually just use cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and some salt. Taste it as you go and add more spices to suit your taste.

For sloppy joes I make my own sauce out of sauteed onion (1 small), garlic (2 cloves), carrots (1-2 small) and green pepper (half a pepper). Then I add  about 3/4 cup ketchup, 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp brown sugar, and enough water to loosen it up a bit, salt and pepper to taste.

Let me know if you try any of these out.




No comments:

Post a Comment