Friday, May 3, 2013

More miles and more tempeh

Well, I'm happy to tell you that the 7 miles I was planning to do on Wednesday actually happened. They felt much easier than the 7 miles on Monday and were even a little faster. I'm not sure how that worked out, but I'm always happy when a mid distance run at 8:50 pace feels comfortable.
Yesterday, we did a short 4 miler. I didn't wear my watch because I wanted it to be slow and easy, but Paul really just has one preferred pace (unless we're doing a long run) so it wasn't the nice recovery run I had hoped for. I would slow us down and he would speed back up. After I yelled at him he started paying attention and catching himself doing it but we were almost done at that point.

In non running related news, Lorelei and I planted most of our container garden yesterday. I've never attempted a container garden before but I chose seeds that said they were fine for containers so I'm hoping for the best. I just put some drainage holes in the bottom of the bins and filled them up with dirt. Most of our seeds had sprouted and had outgrown the little greenhouse so we moved them out.

And then there was lots of playing in the yard/kiddie pool. It was really nice again yesterday. That reminds me, weather that is "really nice" for relatively sedentary people is not so nice for me. I really hate running in the heat. Sorry friends, I'll be the one complaining about the hotness all summer. You can hate me. I don't care. By the time we ran yesterday it had cooled off a lot so it wasn't so bad. And I tried out a new running shirt. I love to wear bright obnoxious running clothes, maybe because that's not my everyday style at all.

Dinner was potato wedges and BBQ tempeh. I just marinated the tempeh in watered down BBQ sauce and fried it on the stove. It was pretty good. For the wedges I washed and cut up the potatoes, added a drizzle of olive oil and a few sprinkles of garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Roast at 400 for about 30 min. Paul said it was really good. He's decided that tempeh isn't the best tasting (it's still god though) meat substitute but it is the meatiest.



And because I had some very ripe bananas to use up we had "cookies" for dessert. No real recipe for these either but here's what I did. Mash up 3 very ripe bananas, add a good sized blob of peanut butter, sprinkle in oats until it's thickened then add some peanut butter chips. Form them on a plate and freeze until they hold the shape.

That's what they looked like before I put them in the freezer. And since I'm talking about cookies. Lorelei and I love these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment